Jul 24, 2011

A Little Piece of Heaven... macaron style.

DSC_0016
DSC_0029
DSC_0004
DSC_0025
DSC_0002
DSC_0019
As I walked through the plaza surrounding an asian super market in the middle of Garden Grove, the last thing I would expect to see is a giant colorful sign advertising "French-style macarons". I was shocked, surprised, and giddily excited. I've been nearly religiously following the Emboîté macaron blog run by my cousin and his girlfriend, and I've been lucky enough to try their Chai Tea macarons over Christmas holiday, but I've never seen a store sell macaroons. So low and behold, imagine my supreme happiness when I saw that this tiny little asian bakery (run by the sweetest old woman) sold 11 different flavors! Among the choices were tangerine, orange blossom, taro, coffee, earl grey, hazelnut, passion fruit, raspberry, caramel, chocolate, and coconut. Each macaron was $1.75, and $1.50 if you bought 7 or more. Despite the relatively expensive price, I caved and got a single coffee flavored macaron (one of my favorite flavors in existence, I'll take a cup of coffee, coffee ice cream, coffee cakes, coffee cookies, coffee toffee, chocolate-covered espresso beans, espresso brownies, coffee-anything). Let me tell you, it was one of the happiest, most blissful food experiences I've ever had. It was completely and utterly delicious and I enjoyed every morsel. The macaron cookie had a semi-firm touch and a chewy, soft texture with adorable little feet. The coffee filling bursted of pure coffee flavor in its creamy texture. It was seriously perfect. My moment was only interrupted by my brother yelling, "IT'S ONLY A $1.75 MACARON! JUST EAT IT!". But no, my first macaron experience was perfect in my eyes. I know understand Emboîté's fascination with macarons. I definitely need to go back. And yeah, this single macaron was worth my mini photoshoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...